Labels

About Me

My photo
I am a first year law student who loves having fun, eating food, and getting fit.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Real Breakfast of Champions

For over 75 years Wheaties have been referred to as the breakfast of champions.  Now, I don't know how you feel about them, but I cannot stand the cardboard like taste of Wheaties.  Also, have you ever read the ingredients label?  There are over 20 ingredients in Wheaties, with sugar being the third, as well as three other forms of sugar: honey, brown sugar syrup, and corn syrup solids.  Packaged breakfast cereals are notorious for being highly processed, and I try to stay away from processed foods as best as I can (I will admit that every now then I do love a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but that is a very rare treat). So with further ado, I present you with the real breakfast of champions.



Today's breakfast consisted of spinach and avocado scrambled eggs, topped with fresh mozzarella, and three slices of center cut bacon.  This is a very simple meal, and it is one I make very often when I manage to wake up with at least 30 minutes to spare before I must head out the door to class (I'm not a morning person at all, and usually hit the snooze button at least five times).  I love this breakfast because it is delicious and keeps me satisfied for a good five hours (talk about staying power).

Ingredients:
  • 3 slices of center cut bacon
  • large handful of fresh spinach
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 oz avocado
  • 1 oz fresh mozzarella
First, I cook up the bacon.  I prefer center cut bacon because it has less fat and calories than regular bacon, but you can use any bacon.  Once the bacon is done cooking (I like mine extra crispy), I lower the heat by half ( I cook my bacon 6, then lower to 3) and add the spinach.  I do not remove the bacon grease from the pan, because I find that it gives the scrambled eggs a nice flavor, and honestly three pieces of bacon don't leave behind much grease.


Now if this looks like a lot of spinach to you don't worry it will cook down to almost nothing.  If you do not have any fresh spinach on hand you can use frozen, but since frozen spinach is already cooked I would only use a two inch cube as opposed to a large handful.  The fresh spinach will take all of maybe 2 minutes to cook down, while frozen takes about 3 minutes (you do not have to thaw before adding to the pan).






This is what the spinach looks like once it's done.  I told you it would shrink.  Also, notice the bits of bacon grease on the pan (the eggs will absorb this) and the smoke rising from the spinach in the photo.  I like to mash up my avocado in a coffee mug and whisk it into the eggs before adding the mixture into the pan with the spinach.  Once the eggs as cooked to my liking, I top with fresh mozzarella.  Today I sliced up three cherry sized mozzarella balls, that just happened to come out to 1oz.  I almost always use fresh cheese as opposed to pre-shredded, because of the flavor and price.  To me, fresh cut cheese taste way better than pre-shredded, and as an extra added bonus it is typically much cheaper to buy fresh cheese.


You might have noticed in the first photo the vitamins in the bottom right corner.  These are the vitamins that I take on daily basis (if I remember).  I am not brand loyal, so I just buy which ever happens to be on sale.  I take vitamin C, to help out my immune system.  I used to constantly get colds or some other type of sickness, but taking this has really helped me to stay healthy.  I take the multivitamin, for my daily dose of vitamins, minerals, and nutritional elements.  Within the last six months, I added Biotin to my vitamin regimen.  Biotin helps support healthy skin, hair, and nails.  Since, I have been taking this vitamin I have been asked quite a few times if I have gotten hair extensions.  Also, my nails have grown quite long and strong.  I love long hair and nails, so this was a great pick for me, but it might not be great for everyone.  As always be sure to consult with your health care physician before starting any new vitamin regimen.


I don't count calories or fat grams or anything like that, but I will say that this breakfast is much more balanced than a bowl of Wheaties.  Its full of protein from the eggs, bacon, and avocado (which is actually a better source of protein than cow's milk).  The avocado is a great source of healthy fats and antioxidants, and the spinach (which is also is antioxidant rich) is a great source of iron and calcium.  Mozzarella if one of the healthiest cheeses, with only 70 calories per 1 oz and 6 grams of protein.  Overall, this is a delicious breakfast that is packed full of protein, as well as vitamins and minerals.  Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and I can think of better breakfast than bacon and eggs.  What is your favorite breakfast food?  Do you actually like the taste of Wheaties?

1 comment:

Pin It button on image hover