Labels

About Me

My photo
I am a first year law student who loves having fun, eating food, and getting fit.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Salad Jars: A Quick and Healthy Lunch



Salad jars are a great way to ensure you get your daily serving of vegetables.  They are also very convenient for people with busy lifestyles. In less than an hour you can have a whole week’s worth of healthy lunches ready to grab and go in the morning. 


 All you need to make a salad jar is a quart size mason jar, and your favorite salad ingredients, including dressing. The only rule with salad jars is do NOT let the dressing come into contact with the lettuce until you are ready to eat. I recommend adding your protein layer directly after your dressing. This layer will be in contact with the dressing for a few days, so it’s best to use a sturdy layer that won’t get soggy.

In the pictured salad jars I used 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and ½ tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil for salad dressing. Then I added a layer of mushrooms, followed by shredded chicken breast. I’m not a mushroom lover, but I eat them since they are so nutritious. I found that by adding the mushrooms first, and allowing them to marinate in the dressing, they tasted so much better, and I actually enjoyed eating them. 


The next layer is for various vegetables. In this layer I added carrots, radishes, celery, green peppers, and tomatoes. Even though the mushrooms and chicken completely covered the dressing, I added the carrots first, since they are sturdy, just to be safe.

The final layer is for lettuce. In my jars I added romaine lettuce, goat cheese, feta cheese, avocado, and crushed almonds. I also chose to add more delicate toppings in this layer because I didn’t want the flavor of these topping to change if by some chance they came into contact with the dressing.

Once your jar is filled to your liking, attach the lid and store in the fridge until you are ready to eat.  At mealtime, shake the jar to mix up all the ingredients, pour into a bowl or eat straight from the jar, and enjoy.

Suggestions

  • It is much easier to eat straight from the jar if you use a wide-mouth mason jar.
  • Use a FoodSaver, or other vacuum sealer with a mason jar attachment to keep your salads fresh for a longer period of time.
  • Have a side with you salad jar, such as a baked sweet potato or brown rice, to keep you full until your next meal or snack.
  • Use a pint size jar if you prefer side salads as opposed to meal-sized salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover